As the New Year approaches, it’s a great opportunity to refresh your dating app profile—new year, new you! The turn of the year is not just about resolutions you may or may not stick to; it’s also the perfect time to freshen up your approach to online dating.
A good dating profile can really increase your chances of finding a match that resonates with your interests and lifestyle. Here are some top tips to help you revamp your dating app profile for the best possible results in the romance department.
Update Your Dating App Profile Pics
They (we don’t know who “they” is, but they say it) say a picture is worth a thousand words, and on dating apps, it’s your chance to make a good, and sometimes only, first impression. New (and recent) photos can dramatically alter and make your profile look brand new.
- Start with a Clear Headshot: Your main profile pic should always be a clear, preferably high-quality headshot of you—and you should be smiling. Not a smiler? Fake it until you make it. At least give the camera a smirk.
- Show Your Interests: Include photos of you doing the things you love to do! Whether it’s dancing, playing with your pup, or taking a hike, let your hobbies speak through your photos.
- Keep It Recent: Look, your photos have to be recent or recent-ish. Don’t post photos of ten years ago you—not only is it deceptive to others, but it’s not doing you any favors either. Make sure the shots are how you currently look. Old pictures will lead to awkward first—and possibly last—dates.
Refresh Your Dating App Profile Bio
Your bio is your story—it’s a place where you can share a little piece of your life and interests. And a well-written, interesting, and funny bio can attract potential compatible matches and start good convos!
- Be Yourself: Write a bio that shows off your personality. Share a bit about your interests, what you’re passionate about, and what you’re looking for in a potential partner.
- Stay Positive: Keep your bio upbeat and positive. Avoid negativity or making it a laundry list of the things you don’t want in a partner. No negative Nancy-ing!
- Be Specific: Instead of saying you like music, because everyone likes music, talk about your fav bands or the last concert you queued all night so you could be at the barricade, front and center. Specific details help make connections!
Update Your Preferences
As we change and evolve, so do our dating preferences, obviously. The new year is a perfect time to take stock of what you’re looking for and adjust your profile settings to reflect those changes.
- Reevaluate Your Filters: Try to be a little less finicky when it comes to your search filters! Adjust your age, distance, and other search filters to cast a wider net into the dating pool. Sometimes, a slight tweak can open up a lot of new possibilities.
- Clarify Your Intentions: Make sure your profile clearly says what you’re looking for, whether it’s a serious relationship or something a little more casual.
Engage with Dating App Profile Peepers
As with all social media platforms, engagement is a secret recipe for success, and it’s no different in online dating. Being proactive and responsive shows that you’re genuinely interested in finding a connection.
- Initiate Conversations: Don’t be shy—go ahead and send that first message. And don’t just say “hey” or “how are you;” go further and make it personalized to the person you’re messaging!
- Be Responsive: Regularly check your messages and respond in a timely manner—don’t leave them on read for two days. Active engagement shows you are serious about meeting someone special.
Keep It Fresh and Fun
Just like we update our wardrobes every so often (some of us more regularly than others) or do a lil’ redecorating in our homes, updating your dating profile on the reg keeps it fresh and shows who you are today.
- Regularly Update Your Profile: Keep your profile charismatic by updating your pics and bio details every couple of months.
- Stay True to Yourself: As you evolve, so should your dating profile—keep it reflective of who you are at the moment.
Ask for Feedback
A lot of the time, we’re too close to our own dating profile to see it objectively. Some of us (me) have a photo we absolutely adore, but maybe it isn’t the best picture we have. Getting external (and honest, which can sting) feedback can give us new and needed perspectives and improve our profiles.
- Ask Friends for Input: Close friends will offer honest insights into how our dating profile comes across. If your mom is around, ask her, but be prepared to possibly get your feelings hurt—moms can be brutally honest. OK, maybe don’t ask your mom.
- Consider Professional Help: If you’re struggling, there are professional profile writers and photographers who can give expert tips and amazing profile pics that will really spruce it up!
Doing a total revamp of your dating app profile for the new year can be both fun and lead to a better dating experience. These tips are your how-to guide to making a truly standout profile that really represents who you are. Remember, authenticity is the secret weapon, so here’s to new beginnings and using dating apps to find that special someone!
Even if you don’t stick to all of your New Year’s resolutions, this one is easy to commit to. New year, new you, new dating profile!